Through the years, I’ve had the distinction to talk on over 200 levels, lead a whole bunch of webinars, and practice 1000’s of enterprise professionals.
But I bear in mind my first presentation prefer it was yesterday. Knees shaking and voice cracking, I stepped onto the stage and proceeded to ramble for what felt like hours.
Quick ahead to at present the place I’ve spent numerous hours honing the craft. Now don’t get me improper, I’m nonetheless studying, rising, and nurturing my inside speaker.
However I can let you know one factor with certainty. I’ve discovered my voice, strengthened my model, and nailed down a course of that creates highly effective and interesting shows.
Certain, not each presentation generally is a house run, however there’s a components to comply with that may make sure you get extra snug, assured, and artistic each time you current.
Under are the steps I take every time I construct and conduct a social media, advertising and marketing or gross sales presentation and the way you should utilize it to develop what you are promoting.
Do Your Analysis
The spine of each stellar presentation is thorough analysis. I gained’t sugar coat it, this step would be the most intensive of your total presentation course of. I warning anybody, particularly first time presenters, to by no means overlook this section.
Blindly diving into any analysis generally is a bit overwhelming. That’s why it’s greatest to start out your evaluation with two targets in thoughts:
- Discovering your focus
- Understanding your viewers
Now as you get began with this, take into consideration how a lot your viewers retains throughout a one hour webinar.
Imagine me, it’s lots lower than you assume.
Cognitive scientist, Dr. Carmen Simon, performed a examine on the intersection of cognitive psychology and communication from the angle of PowerPoint and located that contributors remembered and common of 4 slides from a 20-slide, standalone, textual content solely PowerPoint presentation.
Narrowing in and streamlining your talking engagement round a particular matter will assist maintain your viewers engaged. A targeted presentation has properly outlined boundaries. It doesn’t attempt to deal with all the pieces a couple of topic. It’s clear, concise, and delivers on its said goal.
It’s best to purpose to focus your whole content material, together with your PowerPoint slides. Take note of the variety of slides you embrace in your presentation in addition to its format and design. It will place a larger emphasis on you, the presenter.
Bear in mind, it’s your information, abilities, experience and understanding that units your presentation aside from the others.
Researching the place you’re talking and who you’re talking with is crucial for understanding your viewers. That is very true for social media shows due to the huge vary of adoption and ability ranges.
Your analysis ought to work to reply the next questions:
- Who am I talking with? (“to” implies a one sided dialog)
- Why ought to they care about what I’ve to say?
- What’s a typical ache level my viewers has? How can I assist clear up it?
Take into accout, what you current to senior degree entrepreneurs from Fortune 500 corporations vs. group managers from tech startups goes to differ. As you construct out your viewers analysis, don’t assume you recognize their ache factors and preferences.
Use social media and primary search instruments like Google to get a transparent image of what your viewers is trying to study.
Seek for the next:
- Key phrases particular to your matter
- Associated key phrases
- Business large key phrases
- Trending key phrases
Discovering out what persons are looking out is simply as essential as understanding the place they’re looking out.
A trending hashtag on Twitter doesn’t essentially translate to YouTube. Hold this in thoughts as you start to focus your matter round a particular social community, group or business.
Draft an Define
Now that you simply’ve targeted your matter and have a transparent understanding of who you’ll be presenting to, it’s time to draft an overview.
I prefer to deal with my define as if it had been a weblog put up. Not solely is that this an effective way to work by my concepts, however it additionally makes repurposing the define as a follow-up weblog put up as soon as the presentation is accomplished simple.
I break down every slide and spotlight sentences I don’t need included on slides in crimson. That’s an indication to my designer to go away that out and to me because the presenter to focus on these ideas.
As you start writing, maintain these greatest practices prime of thoughts:
- The best shows don’t embrace a bunch of textual content and statistics. An viewers goes to recollect a speaker who tells a narrative. As an example, the slide beneath from management and advertising and marketing professional, Seth Godin, intrigues me. The subject is targeted on actually, actually unhealthy PowerPoint shows. As simplistic as Godin’s slide is, it nonetheless tells a narrative.
- Begin with a hook. The common individual’s consideration span clocks in at eight seconds. Search for a stunning truth or knowledge level to instantly seize your viewers’s consideration.
- By no means lose sight of your core function. Subtly use repetition to drive your level house. Don’t restate, however reinforce your foremost thought all through your presentation. Use your slides to help your function, don’t use them as a crutch.
- Know your key takeaways. You need your viewers to recollect an important elements of your presentation. Spotlight two to 3 key takeaways and emphasize them all through your presentation.
- Summarize what they’ll count on. Individuals are anxious. Offering your viewers with a roadmap will degree set expectations. Attempt to inform them how lengthy your presentation will run, allow them to know for those who’ll be conducting a Q&A and provides them an thought of what you’ll contact on all through your speech.
- Learn over your define and broaden in your content material as wanted. Now that you’ve got your primary define, it’s time for a second run by. Your objective isn’t so as to add filler or fluff however so as to add worth.
Having an in depth define retains your presentation on level. It’s too simple to fall into the weeds or run down a rabbit gap with out it.
Design & Set up Your Slides
Use your define to information the group of your slides. As you’re designing your presentation take into consideration one of the simplest ways to current the analysis. Will numbers and stats make your matter extra simply digestible?
What does the info you’re sharing actually say? Is a pie chart simpler than a bar graph?
After I’m designing and organizing any presentation, I purpose to include the next three elements.
- Examples: Inform tales and present how your methods have labored for different manufacturers and organizations. Don’t neglect to use the learnings to broader enterprise targets by incorporating outcomes. Screenshots exhibiting your outcomes all the time work properly.
- Analogies: Make bigger concepts and ideas extra acquainted and relatable with analogies. For instance, in a latest on social media presentation for small enterprise, I wished to focus on how nice companies join folks and merchandise by networking and referrals. What’s a easy option to do not forget that idea? Puzzle items. It’s relatable and memorable.
- Visualizations: When making ready slides for a presentation, maintain your message prime of thoughts after which discover photographs that reinforce it. Know that the very best slides incorporate a constant colour scheme and magnificence of images all through. As you format your presentation, use a grid technique and maintain your textual content and images aligned with loads of white house and interesting typography. Lastly, all the time maintain your visualizations easy and stick to at least one thought per slide.
Keep targeted by protecting a fast cheat sheet or confirmed design and organizational techniques onhand:
- One thought per slide
- Easy design
- Room for white house
- Stunning fonts
- High quality images—keep away from clip artwork or inventory photographs
Know Your Name to Motion
Defining a name to motion will make or break your presentation. It’s the distinction between guessing that your viewers is fascinated about your matter and understanding they’re.
What’s your objective? What do you the gang to remove from what you’re talking about? How does this translate right into a measurable motion they’ll take as soon as your presentation is over?
That is an instance of the final slide from a social media presentation I performed at Submit Planner on utilizing social media automation in enterprise utilizing social media automation in enterprise.
It gives contributors with an motion merchandise and provides them a free month of the advertising and marketing software program we mentioned all through the presentation.
Apply and Then Apply Once more
Your presentation might solely be ten minutes, however the vitality you set into it can take hours. So why wouldn’t you’re taking the outing to apply?
Even when your content material is stellar, a lackluster supply will depart it flat. Rehearse… lots. Don’t simply take a stab at it the evening earlier than. Rehearse lengthy earlier than to get snug along with your content material and the circulate.
In case your presentation is stay, apply smiling, wanting folks within the eye and gesturing. Make your presentation vigorous and entertaining.
I do that in entrance of a mirror. I additionally document the audio solely and replay whereas I’m strolling my canine, getting my hair finished, wherever and at any time when I can.
The purpose is…
… In case you’re not fascinated about what you’re saying, why would anybody else be? If it’s on-line, know that you simply’ll have to pump up the vitality as a result of what comes throughout on a recording is way totally different than what’s depicted in individual.
If you keep targeted, inform an amazing story, and embrace time for preparation, you go into each presentation as your greatest self.
Share your presentation with readability and resonance by focusing in on what it’s you’re discussing, outlining your key factors, successfully designing your slides, offering a transparent name to motion, and working towards.
If you do, I assure you’ll make a connection.
And connections are what result in relationships, group, and prospects.
Exit and make magic occur!
Written by Rebekah Radice and initially posted on Medium.
Full disclosure: Hyperlinks on this web page could also be affiliate hyperlinks which implies that for those who determine to purchase, I’ll earn a fee. 3 issues it’s essential to know: I solely advocate merchandise I take advantage of inside my very own enterprise, am extraordinarily pleased with, and may confidently promote.